Whenever we hear of someone going on holiday, the inevitable question is, “Oh, where are you going?”
The answer is usually immediate & absolute – “Mauritius” or “Margate” or even “Staying at home – have a long list of things to do around the house”.
Even the route to the destination, with rest stops, is plotted long in advance.
Back at work, if asked at the beginning of a new financial period, “So what is your goal this year?” the standard response is often a blank look.
To be able to reach any destination, you first have to have one! And then of course the directions to get there.
So – what is your destination for 2018?
Have you planned your route to get there? And don’t forget to include those when you will stop and review – it gives you a chance to get back on track quickly, if you have strayed off route.
Here are 5 SMART tips for planning your sales destination for the year ahead: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-based.
- S – Specific: This is your destination. Be sure to set your sights on a very specific goal. For instance, by December 2018 we will have increased sales volume by 25%.
- M – Measurable: This where those review rest stops come in. What quantifiable outcomes will you measure weekly, monthly and quarterly? Set a measurable pace for the journey to help you stay on course.
- A – Attainable: What capacity will you need in order to get to your destination? Make sure you have the resources and processes in place, so that you can execute the plan of action.
- R – Realistic: Match your goals to the circumstances, so that it is possible to achieve them. Which means understanding market demand and the challenges you will need to address.
- T – Timely: You will need a timeline for your action plan. Timely actions, measurements and adjustments will keep the navigation on track and ensure that you get to your destination as planned.
Lastly, remember the journey starts from day 1. Stay on track by focusing on your goal and enjoy the journey.
Happy sales in 2018!